Sleep Awareness Workshops & Seminars now delivered online
Millpond sleep clinic have been commissioned to train health professionals for both the NHS and HSE since 2007; to date we have trained over 5000 health and teaching professionals. We have also delivered sleep seminars for a wide range of corporate companies including Google, Macfarlanes, Credit Suisse and Citi Group. Working closely with both mainstream and special needs schools, we have developed seminars for both parents and pupils.
All of our workshops and seminars are led by Mandy Gurney and Juliet Newson; both are registered nurses, midwives and health visitors. As leading UK sleep consultants for over 20 years, they bring their wealth of expertise, experience and knowledge to the day.
We have delivered workshops from Southern Ireland to Wales and to all corners of the UK, if you would like to commission Sleep training for your staff, we can come to you.
Our workshops are fully certified and accredited by the CPD Certification Service for 6 hours CPD and are firmly rooted in evidence based practice.
Next Workshop:Tuesday 9th March 2021 - £120
Call us today 020 8444 0040
Our Sleep Awareness Workshop for Professionals
When a child doesn’t sleep well it can impact on the whole family. More and more research points to how sleep deprivation is linked to a wide range of physical and emotional conditions for both a child and their parent.
Our one day workshop aims to provide professionals with evidence based knowledge to develop their theoretical and practical understanding of how to assess and manage behavioural sleep difficulties in infants and children.
It is an opportunity for you to enhance your sleep knowledge and add skills to your current professional tool box and tap into our many years of experience. The content will focus on practical issues relating to sleep assessment and identify interventions to assist the infant / child and their families.
- To provide community staff with up-to-date evidence based knowledge to develop their theoretical and practical understanding of sleep needs; sleep patterns; sleep cycles and common difficulties.
- To support community staff to enhance their confidence, skills and knowledge base in providing guidance to parents regarding sleep difficulties in infants and children.
- To provide an overview of evidence based interventions used to help behavioural sleep difficulties in infants and children.
With the use of assessment tools – by the end of the day delegates will be able to:
- Understand typical sleep regulations, sleep needs and sleep cycles.
- Understand common sleep difficulties.
- Provide education to families on establishing good sleep hygiene, and provide anticipatory advice in the prevention of sleep difficulties.
- Understand how to undertake a sleep assessment for an infant and child, incorporating a sleep history and the use of a sleep diary.
- Gain an understanding of common sleep interventions used to help behavioural sleep difficulties in infants and children.
Next Workshop:Tuesday 9th March 2021 - £120
Our School Sleep Workshop for Teachers, TAs, School Nurses and Staff who work with the School Aged Child
Helping the school aged child sleep well
Sleep is an essential part of staying healthy both physically and emotionally and fits well with the new Government led Child Well-being Checks starting across UK schools from 2020. Studies show a direct link with sleep and learning ability, academic performance, memory, anxiety, depression and obesity.
Children are having far less sleep than their parents’ generation with numerous studies showing as many as 61% of teens not having enough sleep on a nightly basis. Children need on average 10 hours sleep every night.
From the workshops we run for school children we’ve seen that they are keen to understand what sleep means and take responsibility for making sure they do the right thing.
If you’ve got children that are particularly disruptive in your class, the chances are they aren’t getting enough sleep.
Teaching children about the importance of
sleep is as straightforward as teaching the ABC.
- In just a day we can train teachers, school nurses and teaching assistants to deliver classes to their pupils on sleep and enable them to offer support and education on sleep to parents.
- The workshop is fully certified and accredited by the CPD Certification Service for 6 hours CPD and is firmly rooted in evidence based practice.
Seminars for Parents
Our seminars give parents the opportunity to learn more about children’s sleep, their sleep cycles and sleep patterns. How to set up healthy sleep habits, how to prevent sleep problems and how to implement a range of sleep solutions.
We offer bespoke sleep seminars, tailored to meet parents’ needs.
For convenience seminars can be delivered face to face in your workplace or school. Each lasts 60 to 90 minutes and includes a presentation and a Q / A session.
Examples of Our Seminars
1. An overview of healthy sleep and strategies for babies through to pre-school.
This seminar is for parents of babies through to the pre-school child who wish to learn more about the science behind their child’s sleep and what tried and tested techniques they can consider to both prevent and address any on-going sleep problems.
2. How to help the school aged child sleep well.
In this seminar we cover the sleep issues that are common to the school aged child and how parents can help their child sleep better.
There is a common myth that sleep issues are rare in the school-aged child but research shows an increasing number of young children spend their formative years chronically sleep deprived. For example a third of parents of four to ten year olds report at least one sleep problem, most commonly difficulties such as fighting bedtime and problems falling asleep.
Lack of sleep can result in impaired academic performance, reduced memory capacity and behavioural issues. It is also shown to strongly correlate with increased risks for a spectrum of health problems including obesity and emotional concerns.
3. School sleep seminars for parents of children with additional needs
Our school seminar is tailored specifically for parents with children who have learning difficulties and additional needs.
If you would like us to commission a seminar for you please get in touch to discuss your specific needs.
Call us today 020 8444 0040
We have delivered workshops & seminars
from Southern Ireland to Wales and all corners of the UK.
BBC Learning Starting School Project, Berkshire
BCUHB Rhyl & Caernarfon
Cambridgeshire Community Services
Central London Community Health
Conwy Flying Start
Cumbria NHS Trust
East Sussex Healthcare Trust, First Community Health & Care Surrey
Flying Start Flintshire
Guy’s & St. Thomas’ NHS Trust
Gwynedd & Anglesey
Hastings & Rother
Healthy Schools Project Southend-on-Sea
Kensington & Chelsea
Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust
KIDS Hertford & Watford
LEAP (Lambeth Early Action Partnership)
North East London
Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust
Suffolk County Council
The Lloyd Park Children’s Charity
The Royal Marsden NHS Trust
Puffins Nursery School london
West Sussex County Council